Sunday, December 2, 2012




I saw this tree yesterday morning, on a grey, chilly day and it made me
think of this line from a song, "It's just as natural as the weather in this moody sky today."

I had to think for a minute, where was that line from?  I remembered it was from "Hejira," one of Joni Mitchell's most beautiful songs. It's funny how a line from a song I first heard perhaps 25 years ago would float up into my consciousness as I looked at a tree.

I went back and listened to "Hejira" again and marveled at Joni Mitchell. "Hejira" is of those songs you can't listen to if you're standing on ground that's even the least bit wobbly; the song is that heavy with ache (until the very last line!)

At the start of the song, she speaks of a break-up, "I'm sitting in some cafe, a defector from the petty wars that shell shock love away."

Then she writes,

"I see something of myself in everyone
Just at this moment of the world
As snow gathers like bolts of lace
Waltzing on a ballroom girl."

It's a lucky thing that someone like Joni Mitchell writes down words and turns them into songs we take with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment