Sunday, September 9, 2012

What the Wind Left Us



So when does it get better?
A bunch of years ago, a student was going through a rough time that wouldn't let up.
I told him things do get better and it sounded like little more than a cliche.
When? he wanted to know. How?
How do you know anyway? he seemed to be saying.
The thing was I didn't know and yet I did.

I thought of those questions all these years later
as I walked by the beach yesterday when a storm started to kick up.
The waves pounded the seawall over and over. The seas churned.
The water matched the gray, brooding sky. The sun stayed away.
The wind pushed back.

Morning came today.
Sands had shifted. Rocks and shells were strewn along the sidewalks
and the boardwalk. But the sun was out and the wind left soft
pink petals along the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment